5 Million Bras later…
Everyone loves a great all-American success story. Thirteen years after launching as a small internet start-up, BareNecessities.com is nearing the sale of its 5 Millionth Bra. Started by a pair of college buddies and inspired by one’s family bra business, BareNecessities.com is today the second largest online lingerie retailer (only Victoria’s Secret is larger!). In a day and age when unemployment is at a high and Occupy Wall Street dominates the headlines, it’s refreshing to know BareNecessities.com continues to thrive. The company doubled operations in 2011, moving to a new 110,000 sq ft facility in Edison, NJ, and increased headcount by 15%!
With over 3,700 styles and more than 170 brands ranging from everyday favorites Wacoal and Spanx to fashion brands Hanky Panky and La Perla, Bare Necessities is the go-to destination for all things intimate including: bras, lingerie, shapewear, sleepwear, activewear, hosiery, leggings, swimwear and men’s underwear. With over a million visitors each month, the website BareNecessities.com offers bras ranging in sizes 30A to 56J, including extensive Plus Size offerings (for example, the site offers 220 styles of size 42DD bras).
Interesting Facts from the past 13 years:
• If you stretched 5 Million bras west from New York City, you’d end up in Salt Lake City!
• The top-selling bra size of all time is… 36C
• First bra ever sold was… a Bali 3100 seamless underwire bra
• The best-selling bra of all time is… the Le Mystere Dream Tisha bra (Oprah’s favorite bra)
• More than 45% of all bras sold now have cup sizes of DD or larger
• Took seven years to sell the first million bras, but less than six to sell the next four million