Now that winter is at it’s peak, the accompanying icy rain, snow, sleet, and heated indoor air can take their toll on hair, causing it to become dry and brittle! According to NYC hair stylist Craig Carter, defend against the cold and keep hair beautiful and healthy all winter long with these tips:
- Take the time. Use a deep conditioner for at least 15-20 minutes daily, and overnight is actually even better! Be sure to rinse with warm water to seal in shine. Urban Therapy Twisted Sista De-Frizz Conditioner is packed with extra moisture to keep hair soft but has a light formulation so it wont drag down volume.
- Dry before you dash. Never leave the house with a wet head as the cold temperature can damage wet hair much more easily than dry hair, and can actually cause it to dry out. I like the Featherweight by T3 for drying in a flash.
- Cut it out. Remove split ends regularly – winter’s environmental stressors tend to make them worse – and they contribute to an overall dry and unhealthy look. Be sure to keep up on regular trims as well.
- Pamper yourself. Try massaging your scalp once a week to get blood circulation flowing for healthier hair. If you really want to treat yourself, head to a local salon like Georgia in NYC for this luxury!
- Rock extensions or a weave! If you want to try something a bit splashier, winter is a great time to experiment with weaves. You can wear it short or long, curly or straight, and in any color. Maintenance is simple – just keep your scalp moisturized and spritz your weave regularly with a moisturizing spray as well.