Written by KEKE SIMOT & MELANIE BRYANT
Beet, Orange, Arugula Salad with Quinoa
- 8 medium beets, cut into 8 wedges each
- 2 oranges, segmented, pith and membrane removed
- 3 cups of arugula
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 3-4 tablespoons of crumbled feta cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons crushed, toasted sliced almonds
- 2-3 tablespoons of fresh green onion tops, finely minced
- Olive oil
- Champagne vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Edible flowers for decorating
*This salad exchanges the traditional couscous for quinoa, which is high in protein and denser, for a more satisfying bite.
**Look for precooked packaged beets in the produce section, or cook your own, by roasting them whole until easily pierced with a fork, then allow to cool and rub off the skins.
- Mix together the arugula, green onion, and quinoa with enough olive oil and champagne vinegar to moisten; season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the salad, place a layer of the quinoa salad mixture onto a large platter, then arrange beets and oranges over it; continue to layer and build the salad.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese and crumbled almonds.
- Decorate with edible flowers; serve immediately.
Want more recipes like this? Be sure to check out CURVY Magazine Issue 02.