Written by MELANIE BRYANT
This is the time of year when our schedules seem to magically become filled with all sorts of celebratory events from wedding showers to graduation parties. Often, these get-togethers are potluck affairs, which can send fear and trepidation through even the most prepared cooks. What to bring, how much to spend and how much time a dish requires can all be mitigating factors in deciding what to prepare for a crowd. Not to mention, you want to bring the sort of dish that not only attracts the masses, but that gets you rave reviews and requests for your recipe.
My recipe for Greek salad skewers can be put together fairly quickly. Mix up the dressing once you arrive at your destination, and put the dish together by arranging the skewers on a platter lined with lettuce or arugula and then drizzle them with the dressing. This dish will wow at any party, or whip it up for a girls night get-together or a lazy afternoon at the pool or the beach.
Greek Salad Skewers
- 2 hot house cucumbers, washed; peel as if making a pinwheel so that some of the peel remains intact for contrast
- 1 basket of cherry tomatoes, rinsed and dried
- 1 jar of pitted Kalamata olives, drained
- 1 block feta cheese, cut into small squares, slightly smaller than the cucumber slices
- 1 package small wooden skewers
- Thread skewers with a slice of cucumber on the bottom, then a piece of feta cheese, then a tomato and ending with a pitted Kalamata olive. Continue until all skewers are assembled.
- In a blender, mix 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard together with one peeled garlic toe until blended. With blender running, slowly add 3/4 cup of olive oil until dressing emulsifies.
- With blender still running, slowly add 1/3 cup of red wine vinegar and two tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Add 2 teaspoons fresh chopped oregano; blend.
- Pour into a jar and add 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper; shake well.
- Drizzle over skewers just before serving.
Want more recipes like this? Be sure to check out CURVY Magazine Issue 03