Red Hair. Just the word red evokes excitement. Red hot, red carpet, code red…those are just a few phrases that put red in the spotlight. They say blondes have more fun, but Hollywood’s leading ladies are going for red. The minute I saw “Mad Men” bombshell Joan Harris, played by Christina Hendricks, I knew red hair finally had street cred. Christina is not a natural red head, but who cares? She’s a curvy sensation with a head of shiny, red hair. The shade is Ginger. Every character on the show is in awe of her and (spoiler alert) in one episode, the guy from Jaguar won’t sign a contract unless he can have HER! Imaging a Jaguar and a sexy red head together…while not this particular gentleman, I’d say Jaguars and red heads are a purrfect pairing.
I’m just being silly now but red hair is serious business. And it’s rare. According to Dr. Jim Wilson, chief scientist at BritainsDNA, only about 0.5 of the world’s population have red hair. That’s about 40 million red heads or one in 200 people.
Don’t you love the idea of being different, even rare? Aren’t we tired of the blonde stereotype? Sister friends Adrienne and Stephanie Vendetti think so and stepped up to launch How To Be A RedHead. Natural redheads, they believe red hair is more than a hair color, it’s a lifestyle. Their site is full of fun departments like Red Diaries and Red TV, a great source of videos on how to live the red lifestyle with hair color, make up and fashion.
Look for the Rock It Like a Red Head Tour next spring, coming to a city near you, including Detroit (official headquarters for Curvy Magazine), Austin, New York City and Los Angeles. Some of our favorite beauty brands are on board as part of the Vendetti sisters “Red Head Friendly” philosophy.
Here are Stephanie and Adrienne Vendetti’s 7 Summer Essentials for Red Heads
1. Hawaiian Tropic “Sheer Touch” SPF 30: This sunscreen will keep your skin protected without leaving a white film. It also comes in spray form, so you are guaranteed even protection.
2. Sunglasses: Redheads are known to have light eyes, so it is very important to keep them protected (just like the skin) with a great pair of shades. Sunglasses also prevent squinting which will help stop pre-mature wrinkles in the eye area and they will make you look ever-so fabulous! It’s a win-win. Tip: Keep those cool sunglasses in a case to make sure they last year after year.
3. Stay Hydrated: It is recommended that you drink 8 cups a day to naturally moisturize the skin despite the sun’s drying effects. Water also helps prevent acne and keeps the skin young and healthy.
4. Hair Ties: You’ll undoubtedly want to fight the visual effects of sweat, so keep a hair tie handy for sweeping your red tresses off your neck.
5. Blotting Paper: They are a great way to wipe away excess oils on-the-go! Try: Bloom FaceBlotting Paper
6. Lip Balm with SPF: Bobbi Brown’s Lip Balm in SPF 15 is a great addition to your makeup routine. It will keep your lips safe from the sun and will add a gorgeous pink tint to the lips that is perfect for any redhead complexion.
7. Compact Mirror: During the hot summer months, it is not unexpected to see women with smudged mascara and/or face makeup. It happens to us all. That’s why it’s always great to carry a compact mirror with you for those quick (essential) checks!
Rock it like a Redhead!
More red hot hair on Fuck Yeah Red Hair